At least 45 political parties in Kenya will receive a total of Sh1.48 billion from the Political Parties Fund.
President William Ruto’s United Democratic Alliance (UDA) Party will get the lion’s share of the fund.
According to the Office of the Registrar of Political Parties, UDA has bagged Sh577.2 million, followed by Orange Democratic Movement (Sh308.3 million), Jubilee Party (Sh135.1 million), Wiper Party (Sh72.1 million) and Democratic Action Party of Kenya (DAP-K) will get Sh31.6 million, rounding out the Top Five recipients of the fund.
According to Speaker of the National Assembly Moses Wetangula, UDA has 145 MPs, ODM (86), Jubilee (28) and Wiper (26).
Others are the United Democratic Movement (UDM) 8, ANC (8), Ford-Kenya (6), KANU (6), DAP-Kenya (5), PAA (3), Kenya Union Party (3), UPIA (2), Maendeleo Chap Chap (2) and The Service Party (2).
In the Senate, UDA has the highest number of representatives with at least 32 of the 67 senators.
The Political Parties Act 2011 sets aside 0.3 per cent of the national government revenue to finance activities of political parties.
According to the law, 70 per cent of the fund is shared based on the total number of votes secured by each political party in the preceding general election.
Other criteria include number of elected leaders from the special interest category, administrative expenses and the number of nominated leaders.
“All parties qualifying for the fund must be accountable for their allocation and use it for purposes compatible with democratic principles as prescribed in the Political Parties Act, 2011. We expect accountability, transparency and prudent utilisation of the funds by the beneficiaries,” Registrar of Political Parties Ann Nderitu said on September 21, 2022.
Below is the full list of the funds that the political parties will receive from the National Treasury:
- United Democratic Alliance (UDA) – Sh577,162,898
- Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) – Sh308,26,0679
- Jubilee Party (JP) – Sh135,113,518
- Wiper Democratic Movement (WDM) – Sh72,110,017
- Democratic Action Party of Kenya (DAP-K) – Sh31,642,281
- United Democratic Movement (UDM) – SH26,897,846
- Amani National Congress (ANC) – Sh26,600,684
- Forum for Restoration of Democratic-Kenya (Ford-Kenya) – Sh25,863,869
- Kenya African National Union (KANU) – Sh23,938,039
- Devolution Empowerment Party (DEP) – Sh13,781,840
- Maendeleo Chap Chap (MCC) – Sh12,666,731
- Pamoja African Alliance (PAA) – Sh11,501,302
- The Service Party (TSP) – Sh10,554,051
- Movement for Democratic Growth (MDG) – Sh9,798,978
- Kenya Union Party (KUP) – Sh9,505,566
- United Party of Independent Alliance (UPIA) – Sh9,968,11
- United Progressive Alliance (UPA) – Sh8,677,952
- Chama Cha Mashinani (CCM) – Sh8,113,606
- Tujibebe Wakenya Party (JIBEBE) – Sh7,581,022
- Muungano Party (MP) – Sh6,743,290
- Chama Cha Kazi (CCK) – Sh6,533,345
- Democratic Party of Kenya (DP) – Sh5,485,815
- United Democratic Party (UDP) – Sh5,374,364
- National Rainbow Coalition (NARC) – Sh5,153,865
- Party of National Unity (PNU) – Sh4,462,017
- Chama Cha Uzalendo (CCU) – Sh3,923,355
- National Reconstruction Party (NRA) – Sh3,399,792
- Progressive Party of Kenya (PPOK) – Sh3,153,535
- Safina Party (Safina) – Sh3,138,585
- National Agenda Party of Kenya (NAP-K) – Sh2,238,311
- Ubuntu People’s Forum (UPF) – Sh1,998,602
- Kenya National Congress (KNC) – Sh1,852,839
- National Ordinary People Empowerment Union (NOPEU) – Sh1,352,449
- Federal Party of Kenya (FPK) – Sh1,257,686
- Kenya Social Congress (KSC) – Sh1,217,909
- Communist Party of Kenya (CPK) – Sh1,047,848
- People’s Trust Party (PTP) – Sh842,763
- People’s Empowerment Party (PEP) – Sh837,622
- Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) – Sh795,008
- Shirikisho Party of Kenya (SPK) – Sh687,791
- Mabadiliko Party of Kenya (MPK) – Sh638,844
- Green Thinking Action Party (GTAP) – Sh582,538
- Maendeleo Democratic Party (MDP) – Sh582,101
- Kenya African Democratic Union Asili (KADU-Asili) – Sh479,832
- Grand Dream Development Party (GDDP) – Sh466,800
- Justice and Freedom Party of Kenya (JFP) – Sh277,033